Re: [OM] Here you go, E-5 Viewfinder

Subject: Re: [OM] Here you go, E-5 Viewfinder
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:28:07 -0500

> I've considered buying an A2 to get the higher res screen but I have
> never seen an A2.

I had to go into avoidance mode on the A2.  The high-res screen is very nice
as compared to the A1 screen.  Prior to the A1, Minolta had the D7 which
used the sequential-color screen which was much sharper than the A1's screen
but the updating was so slow that my eyes detected too much flicker.

However,

If you think that's a problem in this day and age--remember that your
average DLP projector uses the same sequential-color technology.  The
refresh rate is so fast now that it's pretty much a non-issue.  The
Panasonic G1/GH1 have an outstanding EVF considering...

There is a part of me that says to pick up a second-hand A2. The IQ at low
ISO really is outstanding and the camera remains one of the best thought-out
digital cameras ever made. The A1/A2 are reference-material cameras. These
really were cameras done right.

The Olympus C8080 had a much lower-lag viewfinder and some of the featuring
was a bit nicer for some things, but as a camera which you could use in
professional application, the A1/A2 really is the better camera.

I really like EVF and it's just a matter of time before we come to our
senses and recognize just how horrid today's SLR viewfinders (even on
high-end cameras) are.

AG