Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010 ;( - Now xD vs CF

Subject: Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010 ;( - Now xD vs CF
From: khen lim <khen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 14:54:24 +0800
Strange.
Up until last year, I have purchased and used flea market type USB CF card
readers and have always experienced good performance until it gets to a
point where there would be a delay. Kinda like it hits a bottleneck and then
everything goes into slow-mo. When it gets that way I have to unplug
everything and start again. It'll go like this until I decided to retire all
of them and go buy something a little more 'serious.'

By that I don't mean I know anything about the differences between one and
the next CF card reader. But if I were to compare one, say, 'Yellow River'
brand to another, say, 'Great Wall' brand and then, say, 'Kingston,' I would
probably suggest that the third brand might give me something decent. Not
only will it cost me a whole lot more (it did) but I would expect better
performance.

For one Kingston dedicated CF card reader, I could buy four 'Double
Happiness' (or Great Wall or Yellow River or Grand Pagoda) branded
multi-card reader. That's the price difference but was it worth it?

Yes. The Kingston card reader has given me consistent performance. No more
bottlenecks. Dunno why but that is the case. No, this is a non-UDMA version
card reader.

My two cents' worth.

K.

2009/10/16 Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Then I clearly have a bottlneck(s) somewhere.  My USB 2.0 CF card reader
>  only runs about 7-8 MB/sec while the Expresscard hits 10-12.  Most of
> my CF cards are SanDisk Ultra II.  A few generations back.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> Moose wrote:
> > Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> >> I second Ian on this point.  Most built-in readers have a USB
> >> interface which is relatively slow.  Pay a few bucks for an
> >> Expresscard CF reader. My 4 or 5 year old laptop manages to hit
> >> about 10-12 MB/sec with a cheap Expresscard reader.  I think I paid
> >> $7 for it.
> >>

> > It's not USB that's slowing things down in this case, but the
> > readers. My cheapie (< $7.) little USB 2.0 HS reader averages over 20
> > MB/sec, with a fast CF card.
> >
> > The ExpressCard interface is probably faster than USB 2.0 HS, but USB
> >  isn't the bottleneck in this case.
> >
> > Moose
> --

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people” - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney