Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010 ;(

Subject: Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010 ;(
From: khen lim <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 03:19:32 +0800
2009/10/13 Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> > Do you think Olympus will release a new flagship camera in 2010 after
> > having invested so much money in micro-fourthirds lenses, new cameras,
> > accessories, etc...?
> >

> October has not ended yet.   :)
>
> Zone-10's unofficial prediction is that the flagship will not be revealed
> this year because of sensor pixel-count issues.  Also, unofficially, the
> western hemisphere prediction is that we won't have to worry about a
> flagship camera in 2009 because the second-tier cameras (E-XX, E-6XX
> series)
> is getting a MAJOR upgrade and don't be surprised to see a HUGE surprise in
> it.
>
> The eastern hemisphere office of Zone-10 is predicting something else, but
> until that office actually contributes something worthwhile in writing to
> the rumor mill the western hemisphere office's prediction stands.
>
> :)

Hahaha.... I don't fall for that so easily. Having said that, my prediction
is the E-3 replacement is already confirmed. You will see it. Next year.
Some major changes have been ringed in since May this year. Further changes
are still in the pipeline as we speak. Why this late? Olympus has been
buoyed by recent successes and management now feels strongly about making
larger inroads. Furthermore there have been some very substantial
joint-development breakthroughs with certain other vendors. Some of these
breakthroughs are now thought to be making their way fresh into the E-3
replacement. I don't know anything more than that.

> Just know this... The Schnozz has not opened up his wallet YET.

Eastern office prediction: That will end next year. The wallet will be
prised open 2010.

> Obviously they will have to take out new compact primes. I think it would
> be
> > a good idea to discontinue ZD 17/2,8. It must be really expensive to
> > manufacture these small cameras and they prefer to sacrifice lens
> quality,
> > correcting distortions with the TruePIC V engine and leaving lovely tons
> of
> > chromatic aberrations for the user!
> >

> What does it hurt to wait?  Must we always be buying something?  What
> happened to buying something because we NEED to buy something, not just
> because we WANT to buy something?  YMMV.

Did you just write that??? Wow. Coming from a GAS victim, that is
unbelievable. GAS=Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

> Personally, I think (and this is MY opinion not shared by others in the
> know) that not only is micro 4/3 the future of 4/3, but will be THE place
> where things are happening in the photo industry for the next couple of
> years.  This does not discount regular 4/3, but I am predicting a
> convergence of the technologies. We're still a couple of generations away
> from having fast enough contrast-detect AF for professional use, but when
> it
> does arrive, phase-detect AF will no longer be necessary and the mirror
> chamber sensors can be done away with.

Well written.

> Does this mean that investing in regular 4/3 lenses is a waste?  Absolutely
> not.  Like I said, think convergence.  The bodies will no longer need
> mirror-based OVF.  EVF is the future and the future is almost here.  The
> Panasonic G1/GH1 is a perfect example of that.  It has a better EVF than
> any
> of the low-end pentamirror optical viewfinders.

Personally I hate EVF. I have always depended on the nature of light to tell
me what I'm looking at. I make my exposure decisions not necessarily and
certainly not entirely on what the exposure meter tells me. Being able to
see light optically allows me to feel my way and sense what I need to do.
With an EVF, light becomes electronically expressed and I will lose that
innate ability to be able to interpret it accurately. At least it will take
me a while to unlearn the old and adopt/learn the new. I would absolutely
hate that. It's like ditching the old slide rule and taking up the
calculator or abandoning a reliable well weighted rack-and-pinion steering
for an inert dead-feel steer-by-wire system.

> It is only a matter of time--and we're getting very very close.
>
> It may take a SONY to reissue an improved contrast-detect focus mechanism
> with the laser-grid projection system that actually worked and worked very
> well.  It would be even better if it was in the IR range where it is
> invisible to the naked eye.
>
> But with the new surprises coming out in m4/3, it is very tempting to say
> "switching would be nice, but this is where the action is at."
>
> AG
> --

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people” - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney