Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010 ;(

Subject: Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010 ;(
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:55:56 -0500

> Do you think Olympus will release a new flagship camera in 2010 after
> having invested so much money in micro-fourthirds lenses, new cameras,
> accessories, etc...?

October has not ended yet.   :)

Zone-10's unofficial prediction is that the flagship will not be revealed
this year because of sensor pixel-count issues.  Also, unofficially, the
western hemisphere prediction is that we won't have to worry about a
flagship camera in 2009 because the second-tier cameras (E-XX, E-6XX series)
is getting a MAJOR upgrade and don't be surprised to see a HUGE surprise in
it.

The eastern hemisphere office of Zone-10 is predicting something else, but
until that office actually contributes something worthwhile in writing to
the rumor mill the western hemisphere office's prediction stands.

:)

Just know this... The Schnozz has not opened up his wallet YET.

Obviously they will have to take out new compact primes. I think it would be
> a good idea to discontinue ZD 17/2,8. It must be really expensive to
> manufacture these small cameras and they prefer to sacrifice lens quality,
> correcting distortions with the TruePIC V engine and leaving lovely tons of
> chromatic aberrations for the user!

I've been more than critical of the 17 F2.8 lens.  I am appalled that
Olympus thinks that it can issue crappy lenses like that in this day and
age.  Obviously, my published comments certainly removed me from the
Christmas Card list, but I feel strongly enough about it that I'm not only
speaking my mind, but also letting my money speak too.  I refuse to spend
money on something that is so far below my standards.

I don´t know but I am starting to feel confused about all this.

What does it hurt to wait?  Must we always be buying something?  What
happened to buying something because we NEED to buy something, not just
because we WANT to buy something?  YMMV.

Personally, I think (and this is MY opinion not shared by others in the
know) that not only is micro 4/3 the future of 4/3, but will be THE place
where things are happening in the photo industry for the next couple of
years.  This does not discount regular 4/3, but I am predicting a
convergence of the technologies. We're still a couple of generations away
from having fast enough contrast-detect AF for professional use, but when it
does arrive, phase-detect AF will no longer be necessary and the mirror
chamber sensors can be done away with.

Does this mean that investing in regular 4/3 lenses is a waste?  Absolutely
not.  Like I said, think convergence.  The bodies will no longer need
mirror-based OVF.  EVF is the future and the future is almost here.  The
Panasonic G1/GH1 is a perfect example of that.  It has a better EVF than any
of the low-end pentamirror optical viewfinders.

It is only a matter of time--and we're getting very very close.

It may take a SONY to reissue an improved contrast-detect focus mechanism
with the laser-grid projection system that actually worked and worked very
well.  It would be even better if it was in the IR range where it is
invisible to the naked eye.

But with the new surprises coming out in m4/3, it is very tempting to say
"switching would be nice, but this is where the action is at."

AG