Re: [OM] Ever think about changing horses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Ever think about changing horses?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:59:15 +0200
On 23 Sep 2009, at 11:03 PM, NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 9/23/2009 2:16:04 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> I hate  to be an equivalency bitch, but (optical superiority aside)
> the
> ZD  150mm f/2
> really does produce the same "look" (depth of field) as a 300mm  f/4
> on
> 35mm.
>
> No, you don't.  You love it.  When I'm shooting wide open on a  300
> mm or
> 400 mm it is usually because I need the extra light early in the
> morning or
> late in the evening.  Yes, I also like the look.

No, I actually really don't, I have become a huge fan of the Four
Thirds system.
However, I have posted many times here that a crucial element of my
personal style
is almost always to strive for the shallowest DOF possible. It is
something I
personally pay a lot of attention to, so I always get a bit irked when
people
claim a 150/2.0 to be "equivalent" to a 300/2.0 - for some needs it
is, but
certainly for my needs (which place a premium on shallow DOF, even
often at the expense
of resolution / contrast) will never be. So I have this annoying habit
of pointing it
out. But I really don't want to start a dreaded DPReview equivalency
war here,
"i's jus' sayin..."

But don't get me wrong, I don't think there are many lenses in
production which,
from what I've seen, challenges the 150/2.0 on any aspect of image
quality.
But this sure does not include shallow DOF, even a lowly 200mm f/2.8
(like
a 70-200/2.8 zoom from any of our favourite competitor manufacturers)
will have almost
the same shallow DOF (71mm entry pupil vs 75mm, pretty close) wide open.

> I have this large technicolor vision of Ken in drag being the butch
> bitch.
> Now that is a "look" that makes me laugh.  Just couldn't pass  up the
> opportunity . . . and I make no apologies for it either.

Oh my, what a mental picture...