Re: [OM] IMG: Noisy Insect

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Noisy Insect
From: "Clay Nichols" <Clay.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 10:41:13 -0400
The wasp is known as a Cicada Killer (CK). Most wasps are parasitic. The female
CK will go and find a cicada and sting the cicada. This causes paralysis in the
cicada. The momma wasp will then grab the cicada and half fly and half glide to
the ground. If not at her nest, she will climb a tree with the cicada in her
grasp then half fly and half glide to the ground. Repeat as necessary until she
reachers her nest in the ground. The cicada will then be put in a separate
chamber from the other cicadas already there. She will lay one egg on the
cicada and seal the chamber. The cicada in its zombie-like state will be the
food for the developing CK larva.

>>> John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx> 9/4/2009 9:35 AM >>>
I once saw a cicada on it's back being stung by a big wasp..... I hate
wasps.......I think there is a specific type of wasp that goes after the
cicada.
John Hermanson  |   CPS, Inc.
21 South Ln., Huntington NY 11743
631-424-2121  |  www.zuiko.com