Re: [OM] 7D review

Subject: Re: [OM] 7D review
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 09:34:41 -0500

> I did one experiment, unintentional, and wore padded bike gloves,
> which helped some by adding bulk between the palm and the camera
> giving the grip fingers more length, allowing the index finger similar
> reach.

I have a pair of fingerless gloves that are covered with those rubber dots.
I absolutely love using them when working with the digital bodies.

You also mention the position of the shutter-release.  I'm thinking about
that and I agree with you--and that may be one reason why some of the
digitals don't feel right to me.  If I have to move my finger up higher to
trigger the shutter-release then the tendon is being stretched to the side.
Even with the E-1 I'm barely on the shutter-release with my finger half-off
for comfort.  The MD2's shutter-release is actually more of a stretch.

What I appreciate about the gripless shape of the OM bodies as well as most
non-gripped SLRs and rangefinder cameras is that you hold the camera
entirely differently.  The grips dictate how you hold the camera, a brick
shape camera allows you to customize your own grab onto the camera.  That
and the fact that the left hand generally carries more weight in a
non-gripped camera allowing the right hand to guide and trigger, versus
carry and trigger.

As to "dangling the camera" from the hand--the best I've ever come across is
still an OM body on a Winder 1/2.  The shape of the winder's grip forms a
perfect little ledge for the camera to literally hang from your
fingertips--even when your hand is totally relaxed.  The MD2 isn't bad, but
there is a little rough spot there and the center-of-gravity of the MD2 with
battery pack is lower which causes that rough spot to bite into one of the
fingers.

AG