Re: [OM] 7D review

Subject: Re: [OM] 7D review
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 09:21:43 -0500

> Well, I guess you'll just have to stay away from Canon. It's not like
> there aren't other good camera about.  :-) Though only 4/3 allows easy
> use of the MF Zuikos other than Canon. Bummer, dood.

That's kinda what I'm thinking.  Let's consider for a moment--The EOS-3 has
multispot metering and 1/200 flash sync speed. It also has a myriad of other
features that have stood the test of time.  It's a heavy camera--a beast
really. But there are a handful (and really only a handful--not many) of
situations where I wouldn't mind having a bit more technology working for
me.

As you look back through a product line there are a few cameras from each
brand that have stood out above the rest.  In Canon's EOS line, you of
course have the EOS-1V which is a workhorse, but the EOS-3 has a reputation
as a "photographer's camera" and a real pleasure to use.  The A2/A2E was
also no slouch. Of the ENTIRE range of film EOS bodies are there any others
that you'd seek out instead?  As time goes by, it will be apparant that only
a handful of EOS-digital bodies will stand the test of time and others are
obviously just well-spec'd version du jours.  My guess is that the 5D and
5Dmk2 would easily fit in this list--possibly the 5D over the Mk2,
actually.  The D30/D60/10D/20D/30D/40D/50D/7D and so on are bodies targeted
at the enthuesiest willing and able to upgrade just because you give them a
new model to buy.  The 7D is the 8th body in this line and there is no end
in sight. I have no illusions that the 7D will be any more satisfying
long-term than any of the previous seven models. However, it is possible
that just as Canon introduced the EOS-3 and brought common-sense to the
insanity of naming conventions (other than the Rebel and Elan lines), the 7D
might be the start of something new and within four years we'll have the
7Dmk4. Or they'll pull an Adobe and call it the EOS-CS or something.
EOS-Vista-2010-D-mk7?

Lest you think I'm singleing out Canon, I'm not.  Shall we list Olympus
E-system bodies of the month?  Hmmm??????

It is actually extremely important that ALL of the manufactures have an
aggressive upgrade path for the money'd enthuesiests. The R&D that goes into
the cameras serving the "gotta have it" crowd trickles up into the bad-a$$
pro bodies.  Otherwise you end up with a Sigma that has a great idea, but
poor implementation because they don't have an aggressive enthuesiest-level
R&D department. Or another example close to the heart is the early days of
the E-system.  The E-1 came out--then nothing.  Eventually the E-300--then
nothing.  The sound of crickets was deafening.  Then Olympus proceeded to
target the "unwashed masses" but ignored the enthuesiest as well as the
pro.  They seem to be more back on track now with the E-620/E-30, but
unfortunately, the utter lack of continuity from one body to another (in
comparision to Canon's consistant but tired interface) is disconcerting.

Other than the initial "oooo, I like that" response I have towards new
models from any manufacturer, I tend to look at the cameras in the framework
of time.  How will we view this particular camera long-term?  A good example
of this is the person mentioned who sold his 5D knowing that the 7D was
going to be introduced and wanted to sell it before the price dropped.  The
camera is nothing more than a commodity.  If it isn't new and if it isn't
shiny, I don't want it. Heaven forbid that I be seen with last year's model!

As to me and my OM system?  Corey tells me that I'm like that cool uncle
with the classic muscle cars.  I'll accept that.

AG