Re: [OM] Some Iowa Zuikfest Photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Some Iowa Zuikfest Photos
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 00:39:31 -0500

> Thanks to Ken Norton for playing gracious host on Saturday to a great
> gathering of Olympus partisans.  I will let Ken sum up the
> proceedings.

It was my pleasure. It does my heart good to see the comraderie that comes
about. There isn't much pretense among us and everybody is checking out
everybody else's cool gizmos.

As most of us were shooting film, the photos will be coming in the
> next days and weeks.  I was shooting Kodachrome, but I brought along
> the E-3 for those occasions where it would be difficult to get
> anything on an ASA 25 film, which was a good bit of the time because
> of the wind.

I was very much surprised by the quantity of OMs in use. I think Gordon
regretted not bringing an OM-4Ti, but managed to show us, with his E-3 how
things are done. Corey is essentially digital only and has no previous OM
experience.  I shot mostly B&W filmin the form of Neopan 100SS. I got the
first roll processed tonight, but the second one is a partial and will wait
a few days to get done. From what I could see in quickly examining the negs,
I think I did OK.

My journey began with my friend Paul, who is new to OM and has been
> something of a protege.

Paul was a great addition to the group. His kit was a little more humble
than the rest of us, but I could tell that he not only knew his way around
it, but was enjoying getting together with us.

It was good to see Ken again.  It was also great to meet Michael
> Collins, known to listees, and Cory Brown, a pro from a town about 30
> miles away who shoots Olympus digital.  It was especially good to see
> Gordon again, who was on the Isle Royale trip and made my experience
> so memorable and enjoyable with his knowledge of botany.

Gordon is a riot. A chemist by profession, a botonist by training. He is
that type of geek that you like to have around. If anything went south on
you and you had to go into "survivor mode" He'd be the last one we'd use for
food. I got to know him at school functions as our daughters went to the
same private school. Gordon's 150 F2 lens stole the show.

Michael brought a flash of Canada's Best with him as a house-warming gift.
The Amber #2 is very good and will be great on our next batch of pancakes.
 Thank you!

Corey took care of the group photograph for us. His demonstration of raw
file conversion using Lightroom and Capture One was quite amazing.

Joel did manage to provide me with a bit of lens-lust.  That 28/2 is a sweet
lens.  And it even takes 49mm filters!!!

The entire group was something of the cast from  M*A*S*H, but I was pleased
with the comfortable interaction we all had.

Oh, as to food, well, we ate at a Mexican restaurant, but I did make
espressos for everybody afterwards.

AG