Re: [OM] Bob Whitmire, Maine

Subject: Re: [OM] Bob Whitmire, Maine
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:31:49 -0700
Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> There are certain ISPs, Roadrunner and Comcast come to mind, that are
> extremely quick to block mail coming from other ISPs just because someone
> sent spam to someone. Their filters are crude. So, the only solution is to
> have an alternate outgoing server that you can use to communicate with such
> people.

You can add SBC/ATT to the list. Completely useless due to overactive
and capricious blanket spam blocking.

I think the issue is that most ISPs don't do their own tracking of spam
producers. They subscribe to services that provide them with lists of
spam sources and simply implement them. Same principle as Anti Virus and
Spyware.

But the list providers have no stake at all in the ISPs clients, only in
making their client, the ISP happy with reduced traffic from potential
spammers. The result is that one may contact the ISP, with luck, and get
the addresses you want to receive mail from reinstated, but they will
likely just get blocked again soon.

That's why I use a Gmail account (free POP3) for the list and Yahoo for
my general personal mail.

Moose