Re: [OM] Composition rules (Re: New arrival from the lab)

Subject: Re: [OM] Composition rules (Re: New arrival from the lab)
From: "DrT \(George Themelis\)" <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:46:18 -0400
> You do not have to follow rules. I have been critiqued over horizons in
> the past and frankly I could care less. Its how I see the photo. Perhaps I
> wanted it that way. As you said the horizon can be changed during PP. In
> the posted image the horizon works out nicely. The image is pleasing.

My own experience with this started back 20 years ago when I was a graduate
student... I was making a B&W print in the darkroom of my wife and her
sister photographed in a busy street in Chicago. I was of course, centering
them in the frame, since these two were my subject of interest.

The darkroom technician walked in, saw what I was doing and said "you are
doing this wrong... let me show you".  He then shifted my printing frame to
put my wife and sister were off-center.  This brought some of the buildings
on the other side into the frame, resulting in a more balanced and pleasant
arrangement.  At that moment, I became a believer :)

People tend to get defensive when the rules of composition are brought up.
I hear this about not following rules all the time.  There is a good reason
that "rules" exist.  You cannot have a person at the edge of the frame,
looking *out* of the frame.  As a rule, and,  yes, there might be
exceptions.  But there is usually a reason for that.  Dawid gave us an
explanation for the tilted horizon in his picture " It was to balance the
symmetry (the sky, and its reflection  on the wet sand)."  He is not
breaking the rule for the fun of it (even though this is fine too :)).

Rules rule, unless there is a reason not to :)

George