Re: [OM] OM 4Ti mirror lock up - but batteries are Ok.

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 4Ti mirror lock up - but batteries are Ok.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 02:44:18 -0700
Fernando wrote:
> Hola Moose,
>
> Thanks for answering :-)
>
> "Machines take by surprise with great frequency" - Alan Turing.
>
> Moose wrote:
>
>> Classic symptoms of two things. ....
>>
>> Unfortunately, the battery check light on the OM-4 series bodies is
>> not very good. Check with a voltmeter.
>>
> Done. My new Renata 357 batteries measured 1.5 dead-on.

Just checked a couple of almost new 357s I keep in my desk drawer for
checking cameras, etc. Both measure over 1.58 on my digital meter and
they have had a small bit of use.

Have you actually tried another new set?

>> 2. Poor electrical contacts in the battery circuit. This is most commonly
>> loose screws holding the bottom plate on, but can be oil/corrosion where the
>> plate makes contact or elsewhere in the circuit.
>>

> Most probably this one may be the cause. Glad to have ruled out the memory
> clear button and the self-timer left On. Removed the bottom cap after
> tightening to check if it was loose. It  admitted a less than one degree of
> tightening, not much. Removed the batteries, measured them, cleaned both at
> each one's  surface, inspected the batteries chamber and everything looked
> quite clean.
> Put the batteries again, tightened firmly and fired: it failed ... red 1/60,
> fired again: it worked. Continued to shoot both with winder2 and shutter
> release button, it didn't fail.  ... :-(
>
>> The why is similar to above. At low current, there is ...
>>
>  OhM rules !!
>
>> If truly fresh batteries and tightening the bottom plate screws don't cure
>> the symptoms,
>>
> How do I tighten those screws? Which one are they, btw? The black screws
> which can be seen from the outside of the camera, at the farthest right  and
> left of the bottom plate

Those two and the two that are on each side of the tripod socket.

>  - or something hidden inside the battery chamber?
>
>> take the plate off and clean the bottom of the body casting around where the
>> screw holes are, including use of a rough eraser, fine sandpaper or some
>> such on at least one hole.
>>
> Damn! - that might wear the paint off the black screws !! And I'd need a
> crosspoint [destornillador] !.
> You're talking about my 'new' OM 4Ti :-)

With the right cross point driver, there shouldn't be any paint loss on
the screws. Speaking of paint - the battery cover is chrome, right?

> Fernando.
> --- does the idiomatic expression 'loose screws' mean something for English
> speaking people?

Same meaning, I suspect, but phrased "a screw loose".  As in "It looks
like Moose had a screw loose when he worked on Bob's big surf image."

Moose