Re: [OM] Olympus Power Bounce Grip 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Power Bounce Grip 2
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 23:13:17 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Joel,
        thanks for kind words.

I was just using my OM gear again alongside some digital gear, and it is always
such a pleasure to actually shoot with OM.

It is true that somehow I have been involved in dealing with batteries from
High School days when I built my own lead acid batteries and wet leclanche
cells, through dealing with batteries in a more professional capacity for
medical applications, implants etc. Also developing and building battery test
equipment for high speed cycling and measuring battery impedance,recombination
etc etc .

With all the interest in batteries for cars and solar, there is a lot happening
in battery research and some batteries with amazing specs are starting to come
to market. For example LiFePO4 bateries are currently available with very high
cycle life and recharge times under 15min and very high discharge rates.
Research versions of similar batteries with well under 1min recharge times have
been demonstrated, which would be very useful for Hybrid or electric cars, when
brought to market.

I don't have any current favorite 357, as I still have a refrigerated supply of
everready high current 357's. (from before they changed them for the worse to
"357/303").     I did buy a couple of North American Batt Corp, "Ultralast
brand" UL357's marked 206maH, meaning to test them.  Unfortunately I have not
had the time.  NABC likely just markets them, and does not actually manufacture
them anyway.  I could not find any real specs for them, except that the website
says 165maH not the 203mAh marked on sales slip. The cells themselves are
marked "357 , NL  silver cell", most likely a generic cell from  China.

  The "high current" Sony 357 cells (not the normal low current Sony cells),
looked good on paper, but are very difficult to find in distribution in North
America. Mark Dapoz has an exhaustive 357 data sheet compendium I put together
a while back on his website, but I don't have any newer data sheets, over what
I included there.

Tim Hughes