Re: [OM] Olympus Power Bounce Grip 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Power Bounce Grip 2
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:04:56 -0700 (PDT)
This is a very old topic discussed many time on list.
My memory is with both sets of batteries the recycle times are ~ half that of
T32 and more comparable to dedicated handlemounts from Metz and sunpak(5-6sec).

I have not followed this thread ,but I posted  on this quite a bit previously.
There is also a detailed annotated BG2 circuit diagram , I posted on Mark
Dapoz's hardware website.

Below is part of an old thread I contributed to, which discusses just how
versatile a solution the BG2 is, in the sense you can run with 1 set of
batteries, 2sets of batteries or no batteries and a quatum or a quantum + 2
sets of batteries for the ultimate speed.  The BG2 is so much better at running
the T32 than the t32 itself, because it regulates the voltage to the T32 with a
feedback loop, and so as the batteries run down the recharge time does not
change nearly as much as the t32 used alone. This is particularly true if niMh
are used in grip.  You can get real niMh in the the c-cell size, although JH is
right, mostly they are repackaged AA's. There should be almost no difference in
recycle speed between AA and real C's used in grip, unless AA's were  very low
rate cells. The audible feedback from the BG2 to indicate full charge, is also
very helpful.
You can also buy plastic C cell adapters, that hold AA's to fit into C size
space.
---------------
Re Bounce Grip 2 ,T32 question

by Tim Hughes  Oct 22, 2006; 12:14am
The Hi voltage connector on the grip is totally independent of which of the T
cord triggers is
used.

All the T connectors are in parallel when on the bounce grip, so not only can
you use the grip's T connector, you can still chain the T connector on the T32
flash to another T32 flash connector for synchronised triggering and ttl flash.

The extra high voltage power connector on the grip can also be used with an
external high voltage Quantum Turbo or compatible (Permapak 960,Sunpak Tr2000
etc) power pack to speed up cycle time still more.
For significantly faster cycle times it is always best to use batteries in both
grip as well as in flash.

An unusual option most people are not aware of , is to put no batteries in the
grip or flash and use just an external Quantum Turbo pack connecte to the high
voltage auxiliary connector. This has the advantage of creating a tilt & swivel
T32 flash with very fast cycle time and a low weight.
There are quite a few Quantum clones at various price points that make this
possible at a much more reasonable price point than Quantum, although the Oly
compatible cables are still $35-$50 ea.

Unfortunately for safety reasons, you cannot take power *out from* the grip's
auxiliary high voltage connector (where Quantum gets connected), as the pins
are too exposed and there is an isolating diode in the grip to prevent it.

Tim Hughes

a more recent post:

The main point I was making about the BG is not the recharge times, but that it
makes the T32 more like modern flashes with **consitent** known power levels.
The T32 on its own is awkward to use in manual, if you want tight control,
because the variable recharge times and with no audible feedback to indicate
when it is fully charged.  They should have just designed the T32 inverter with
the added voltage feedback loop into the flash in the first place!

Tim Hughes