Re: [OM] Sainte-Chapelle

Subject: Re: [OM] Sainte-Chapelle
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 08:32:19 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Fernando Gonzalez Gentile"

> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/3849099217/sizes/o/>
>
> Ok, there it is, lit by T32.
>
> First, I didn't find how to disable color management, so I converted it
> from NikonAdobe RGB to sRGB before downsampling from 16bit->8bit (no
> dither necessary, only black point compensation) and resized to 1280 using
> SI 2 Pro. Nothing else done in CS3.

Black point compensation sometimes will led to unwanted black clipping.
Assuming you use eyedropper tool, it has to be careful in choosen the black
point otherwise will bring the shadow color wrong.

> I guess color accuracy ~90%, mainly by lack of saturation both in red and
> green.

You may try an sRGB scan to see if it is better.

> I guess contrast/sharpen accuracy ~75%, very obvious all along the flower
> and specially at the yellow center, where yellow and red alternate at each
> gynoecium or androecium (let's not discuss this :-) ). You can see how
> these colors alternate, but not as sharply as I can see them through an 8x
> lupe  combined with my -5  Rodenstock  correcting diopter. In fact, I see
> them screamingly sharp, razor-blade sharp.

Your flower seems lacking some clarity in my monitor especailly the yellow.
It looks like front focus as the object on the right size of the flower
seems sharper.

> Compared with F01, red is quite different. Yours is warmer, mine goes to
> cyan. Spent a little while watching how did this red change in the
> transilluminated RVP, it was a sunny afternoon here, clear blue sky; and
> instead of going out to shoot the blossoming sakura with my new 300mm, I
> watched this red changing whilst viewed through the blue skylight, the
> gray reflected by the cityscape and my 'reference' Philips lightsource
> .... :-) - this is crazy.
> Not quite, I portrayed the sakura yesterday ... but today the light was
> nicer.
>
> :-)

Since the samples are just for scanner RAW test, I haven't done any color
adjustment on these scans, usually some minor twist is require to bring the
color more accurate (for instant the Fuji need a little reduction on blue).
I think the warmness is due to evening sun, it should be even warmer as I
see the white water which facing the sun is a little high on the 'Blue'
values. Just corrected it here:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/FR/FR.htm

C.H.Ling