Re: [OM] I hope it's the beginning of a trend

Subject: Re: [OM] I hope it's the beginning of a trend
From: Jim Loudon <listadr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:32:17 -0400
> I trust people have also noted the possible END of the megapixel war.  The
> S90 and G11 only have 10MP.

It wasn't that long ago that Akira Watanabe of Olympus was quoted as
saying:

"Twelve megapixels is, I think, enough for covering most applications most
customers need"

and was widely of accused of heresy in some fora (not this one, but we've
drunk the Kool-Aid :-) )

The wired.com commentary on Watanabe's quote, written back in March, was
an interesting piece of forecasting:

"It has been the unofficial line at camera manufacturers for a while now,
but Watanabe is the first to say it out loud, and to actually base future
tech policy on it."

I think we're seeing some really interesting small digicams hitting the
market. It could be the camera makers have concluded cell phones are the
future of low-end digicams and that it's time and technically feasible to
directly address the concerns of the serious end of the market.

jim