Re: [OM] I hope it's the beginning of a trend

Subject: Re: [OM] I hope it's the beginning of a trend
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 12:02:09 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I like the F2 lens but the G11 articulated screen looks nice indeed. Why
> doesn't KR like a hot shoe?  Seems dumb to me not to have one.

Have you ever used the one on the G9? I've never missed one on the A650,
didn't actively recall until this thread that it was without one. Of
course, I almost never use flash and am more than happy with the
articulated LCD, so what would I use it for?

I can sort of see KR's point. If it isn't actually needed, it's just an
appendage that will catch on pocket edges and other things.

> I doubt you would pry the A-650 out of maestro Moose's hands w/o said LCD.

Right - I am seriously hooked.

> Now I am experiencing  severe upgrade angst with my G-9. I do have the CHDK
> hack and thus zebra mode, separate channel live histo and can monitor the
> battery, sensor temp.  There is even a "flashlight mode" turning the screen
> white  ;-).  Not to mention a possible shutter speed to 1/64K and
> programmable intervalometer scripts.  Take that G11.

I also have all that stuff. The big upgrade issues for me would be
better IQ and faster operation.

Canon have generally led the pack with getting decent IQ out of small
sensors with lots of pixels. The prospect of what that knowledge might
do in terms of per pixel quality and dynamic range on a 10 MP sensor
excites me. There are small artifacts in A650/G9 images, bad in JPEGs
and still troublesome in A650 RAW, that limit what can be done with
them.  I think this new sensor system might do a lot to close the
practical gap with 4/3.

The big drawback of CHDK on the A650 is RAW process/write speed, which
really slows the camera down. New processor and built-in RAW could be a
boon.

Moose