[OM] I hope it's the beginning of a trend

Subject: [OM] I hope it's the beginning of a trend
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:52:36 -0500
I don't trumpet Ken Rockwell too often.  Not that I disagree with him, it's
just that I'd rather not be considered a total nut-case--just "Nut Case
LE".  Well, Ken has hit the nail on the head with his preview of the
upcoming Canon S90.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s90.htm

I've been trying to get Olympus to turn that wasted pretend ring at the base
of the lens mount into a programmable adjustment ring.  While Olympus is
screwing around with pretending that the world wants "press-and-spin"
controls, Canon is revisiting the "old world" of tactile control.  I'm
hoping that this is a trend that they trumpet in their DSLRs too.

How important is this type of functionality?  If it is executed properly, to
me it's a reason to change systems.  If Canon places these programmable
tactile control rings on their DSLR bodies (hence changing from their
current interface design that dates back to before the EOS was even
introduced), I could seriously be tempted to finally bite the bullet and go
that direction--especially with a full-frame body. (But that will require a
huge hit on my budget--so I'm in no hurry).

Regardless, as I'm really wanting a decent pocketable or semi-pocketable
digital camera to replace the A1, the S90 may definitely be at or near the
top of my list.  I had high hopes for the E-P1 and the E-P2 may be the
"cat's meow", but there are a few things I take very seriously--control
layout and tactile feel is one of them.

AG (Nut Case LE) Schnozz