Re: [OM] I hope it's the beginning of a trend

Subject: Re: [OM] I hope it's the beginning of a trend
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:50:00 -0500

> Have you actually used these finders? Absolute crap little tunnels that
> only show a modest portion of the actual frame. With an articulated LCD,
> I've always been able to find an angle that doesn't have reflection
> problems. It also can do away with the arm's length in front pose, go
> overhead, on the ground, and even see around corners!

I just went to the closet and put on my "I agree with Moose" T-shirt.  It
hasn't been worn much lately, it seems, but on this subject, I'll trumpet it
from the highlands--Moose is right!  Liveview LCD is really the one feature
that has really made digital trump film in the usability department.

I have no problem with using an LCD much of the time.  In fact, even with my
event photography, half the time, I'm barely looking through the viewfinder
of the DSLR and SLR cameras other than to make sure the subject is somewhere
near the middle of the screen.

The only reason to hold the camera at "arms length" is if your glasses need
adjustment.  When I hold a digital P&S up or my A1 (which I use the LCD
nearly exclusively), it's about a foot or so from my eyes.  Not any
different than using a video camera.

AG