Re: [OM] Question: Early OM-1?

Subject: Re: [OM] Question: Early OM-1?
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:54:02 +0100
Well, Lee's estimable website is missing one detail. The code on the camera
back tells you only the date of manufacture of the back itself.  The back
(and the baseplate carrying the serial number) is freely interchangeable
between all single-digit OM bodies, so it would be entirely possible for an
OM-3Ti to have a back indicating manufacture in 1973 - that would have to be
a Wyoming-plant prototype!

Other factors would indicate how reliable the camera back code is in a
particular case - it sounds like these "stack up" in the present case, but
don't take everything at face value!

Piers

PS George, the Wyoming reference crops up from time to time - many years ago
a seller on an auction site (not your favourite one!) offered am OM-10,
described as an OM-1.  On being asked to clarify the discrepancy, he
explained that this was a special prototype from the otherwise secret
Olympus plant in Wyoming.  John Lind documented the story here:
http://johnlind.tripod.com/omwyfactory.html