Re: [OM] SP Systems Power Pack w/T32

Subject: Re: [OM] SP Systems Power Pack w/T32
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 07:13:19 -0400
I did not see any reason to buy CSR over CSRB.  Battery life is long and
battery cost is low.  No significant reason not to choose versatility
unless you can't share between studio and field use.

I built my own equivalent of the Vagabond Power System:
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Powerpack%20for%20Bees.jpg>
I saved about 1/2 the cost but I'm not sure I would do it again.  I had
difficulty getting reliable connections to the battery which are just
push-on spade connectors which tend to work loose. I used a higher power
true sine wave inverter and it can recycle the flashes about twice as
fast as the Vagabond.  But what I didn't realize is that the inverter
draws a lot of power when just idling.  A smaller inverter would have
provided acceptable recycling time and lower battery drain at idle.
It's never really been a problem but I did change my battery from 12AH
to 17AH and also shut off the inverter if I expect a lull in the
activity.  Also, all true sine wave inverters are not created equal.
The first brand I tried didn't work at all as the flashes wouldn't
charge.  My homebuilt unit is all assembled in a small hydration
backpack.  I use a truck fleet battery maintainer as a charger.

These days the Bees hardly ever get used and then only outdoors with two
lights instead of four.  I should do some more experimenting with my
multiple T32 arrangement and rebuild a second unit which I dismantled.
I might well decide that I no longer need the Bees and the inverter.

Chuck Norcutt