[OM] Windoze & Memory [was question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists]

Subject: [OM] Windoze & Memory [was question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:59:20 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> If the hardware is capable of addressing more than 4GB via bank switching or
> direct 64 bit addressing, some suitable software should be able to use the
> upper memory without interfering with Windows claims on the lower 4GB...
> assuming that Windows agrees to let it.

There is indeed software to do this. What I recall seeing was software
that swapped physical memory about in the address space to give apps
more memory, or some such.

When I was researching memory options for this desktop, I found such
stuff. At the time, the complexity and that the apparent hassles,
instabilities, etc. that I found reported led me to the conclusion that
I wasn't ready for it on my primary machine. :-)

I don't recall running across a ramdisk using memory above 4GB, but it
certainly seems possible.

Moose