Re: [OM] Windoze & Memory [was question for Doctor Monitor, if he exist

Subject: Re: [OM] Windoze & Memory [was question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists]
From: khen lim <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:50:28 +0800
OK thanks Moose. I'll see if I can digest all these.I've just ordered a PC
but minus the display for now. Will be taking a loaner display until I can
sort out what suitable make/model I can find over here. Once I take delivery
of this PC, I will put yours, CH's and Chuck's ideas into play concerning
RAMDISK.

Thanks again.

K.

2009/8/15 Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> khen lim wrote:
> > That's where I get most confused, Chuck. I read with great delight about
> Windows' ability to access beyond the first 2GB via your Microsoft MSDN link
> but I keep getting folks over here telling me no, Windows only reads 2GB and
> nothing more.
>
> So I have this silly question. Who do you know in Malaysia who knows
> more about windoze than MS? If you can't even trust MS to know how their
> memory management options work, isn't it time to change OSs?
>
> > The thing is you mentioned about modifying the boot.ini file so that
> Windows can and will identify GB #3 and #4 and then assign them to
> applications.
>
> There are two separate control options.
>
> "The */3GB* switch makes a full 3 GB of virtual address space available
> to applications and reduces the amount available to the system to 1 GB.
> ... the amount of address space available to applications can be
> adjusted by setting the */USERVA* switch in Boot.ini to a value between
> 2048 and 3072, which increases the amount of address space available to
> the system."
>
> And indeed, Windows Task Manager on this machine recognizes 3GB of memory.
> > That would be good but what does one write to modify this file?
>
> I have no boot.ini in Vista. The entires are in the Registry. I just
> don't remember what I used, although I'm sure I didn't modify the
> Registry directly. I seem to recall some program/utility. I know I found
> everything I needed on the web.
> ------------------
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002
> SystemStartOptions
> /3GB /USERVA=3072
> ------------------
>
> This is all for real, I've done it and had it working since shortly
> after buying this machine. It did indeed speed up PS.
>
> > Secondly with computers these days using unified or shared memory
> architecture (with graphics adaptor), would GB #3 and #4 be assigned instead
> to such devices to use so that the first 2GB can be left to the operating
> system.
>
> You are on the right track, but the wrong memory amount. Windoze can
> address 4GB. However, as you say, many hardware devices use part of that
> 4GB address space to map their own memory. The graphics card is usually
> the largest, which is one reason not to use a huge memory gamers card
> for an image editing system. Add a SCSI card, lose some memory. MS says
> a common amount of memory address space used by various hardware is
> 7-800MB, leaving 3.2-3.3GB for Windoze to use.
>
> That's why my system only has 3GB of physical memory on the motherboard.
> It was considerably cheaper at the time than 4GB, and the practical
> difference is small. Most of the top GB would be mapped out by various
> hardware drivers, and never used.
>
> > I'm confused as you can see.
> >

> Perhaps a little less so by now?
>
> Moose
> --

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people” - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney