Re: [OM] 3D (What worked, what didn't)

Subject: Re: [OM] 3D (What worked, what didn't)
From: "DrT \(George Themelis\)" <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:10:32 -0400
> Perfect stereo stills can be made with one camera, by merely
> shifting its position a little bit.

Yes... A lot of people are surprised to learn this, but stereo pictures can
be taken with only ONE camera.  Just take the first picture, shift the
camera, take the 2nd picture.  A good starting point is to shift the camera
by 65mm (2.5 inches), which is the average spacing of the eyes.  I sell
(www.drt3d.com) slide bars that make this shifting more accurate.  One can
just hold the camera and shift it, but there is a possibility of alignment
errors.  If you shoot digital, there is a free software that will align the
pictures.  If you shoot film, it takes a bit of experience to align
misaligned pairs during mounting.

> And I have made nice "stereos"
> from a flying airplane, just by quickly pressing the shutter twice.
> Of course the image is different from what the human eye would have
> seen; it looks like the view of a giant with two very distant eyes.
> Which makes it even more spectacular: usually the view from a plane
> hasn't much stereo to offer...

Exactly! :)  I always carry a single camera when I fly (or travel, in
general) to take advantage of these opportunities. I call this technique
"moving platform stereos".  You stay still, but the airplane (boat, etc) is
moving.  The end result is known as "hyperstereo".  By definition,
hyperstereo is any stereo pair taken with cameras/lenses separated wider
than the spacing of the eyes.  The visual effect is what Frank described, a
giant whose eyes are spaced wider apart.  OR, the entire scene looks like a
small toy model and not real (for example, toy building, etc).  The brain
usually uses this second interpretation.

George