Re: [OM] 3D (What worked, what didn't)

Subject: Re: [OM] 3D (What worked, what didn't)
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:58:57 +0100
2009/8/5 DrT (George Themelis) <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>:

> There was a couple of well-known stereo photographers (two brothers) who
> synchronized two mechanical cameras (not Olympus) using relays which were
> electrically activated and mechanically pressed the camera shutters.  They
> claimed perfect synchronization and, to prove it, took pictures of action
> sports events in the Winter Olympics many years ago.

Closer synchronisation is always going to be better, and worth
pursuing, but I wonder just how good it needs to be?  There's a shot
in one of my galleries of a car travelling at about 30 mph going past
a cottage, which seems to have worked well without any tweaking, and
no panning was involved.  Few athletes will move that fast, and any
objects that might (balls, discus, javelin etc) will often be allowed
to blur to convey their motion.

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer