Re: [OM] ( OM ) Digital landscapes - example

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Digital landscapes - example
From: <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 22:20:21 -0400
Cc: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
---- Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Digital is certainly good enough if you have the deep pockets that people
> like J.P. Caponigro have. He's likely using a Canon EOS 1DsIII, maybe even a
> medium format digital system. I know he uses Canon for a lot of his work.
>
> For those of us who cannot afford $8000 camera bodies, digital still isn't
> quite there.

Canon 5D MkII. He does have deep pockets, and corporate sponsors, but he's a
wizard with his gear. That stuff wasn't just handed to him. And a _lot_ of
people can afford a 5D Mk II system. But a lot of people can't do with it what
JP can.

It's not enough to blame economics. Digital is there. The skill to use it more
than likely is what's lacking. Digital is relatively new, compared with film.
It takes a while to learn how to play the violin, and some will always be
better than others.

The trick is to learn to do the very best work you can do with the equipment
you can afford, and not to let yourself get in your own way while doing it.
(That's a generic "you", FWIW, not specially addressed to the specific you,
Chris.)

All this film vs. digital talk is an effing waste of breath, and does nothing
more than contribute carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. Sometimes I think it's
reached the proportions of bovine methane flatulation. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com