Re: [OM] New member says "hi"

Subject: Re: [OM] New member says "hi"
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 15:42:28 -0700
DrT (George Themelis) wrote:
>> Be warned, George, it never ends.
>>

> I don't understand why... I go to the "Unofficial Olympus OM Sales
> Information File" (http://olympus.dementia.org/esif/om-sif.htm) and I click
> in every section and see a very limited number of products.  This is such a
> slim and neat list of equipment....
>
> Try researching an equivalent Nikon line of products and your head will spin
> :)

It is slightly more complicated than you may imagine. Many of the lenses
went through at least two versions and a few through multiple versions.
To quote John H., our captive repairman :-) :
======================================
"There are 5 types of 50 1.8

1 - Silver nosed, single coated
2 - black filter ring, single coated, glass parts different than type 1.
3 & 4 multicoated. "Japan" on name ring. Mostly identical inside
except type 4 has different lens group 2nd in from the rear. Name ring
will say "MC" (type 3) or not (Type 4).
5 - Multicoated, "Made in Japan" on name ring, shares no optical parts
with type 3 or 4. Uses same name ring as type 4, Not marked MC.

There are finer differences between the lenses, other folks may want to
go into those things."
The optical differences between a type 1 and a type 4 are HUGE.

Although the 21/3.5 you are selling on the 'Bay has the black nose
styling of later lenses, the G.ZUIKO on the name ring reveals it to be
the earlier, single coated version. The 85/2 actually has two versions
with different number of elements!

You may wish to consider the OM-4 series for the mirror/aperture prefire
if you have a problem with vibration induced blur in your rig.

Moose