Re: [OM] Three more prints (Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 Macro)

Subject: Re: [OM] Three more prints (Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 Macro)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:53:34 +0200
> Moose wrote:
> Paper print, wet or inkjet, is a very different medium than video
> screen. I'll not argue which is "better", not just to avoid
> controversy,
> but because they are so different, that I consider the question moot.
>
> If one recognizes the difference and is willing to learn the "digital
> darkroom" techniques for digital presentation, the same original image
> can be presented in versions that at least have some of the same
> overall
> qualities.

I agree wholeheartedly, they are very different, all I am saying, is
that a wet print scanned never
seems to have the same impact, no matter what you do. You can process
it to exaggerate some qualities,
but does not seem to have the same simultaneous understatement and
impact. They are just very different.

Curious choice of yours, to go with a grey border in the end! You
know, for a very long time,
I actually posted images with no border whatsoever, precisely because
they immediately become
"part" of the presentation, and thus a choice is to be made.

My first presentation of this image also had a black filed neg carrier
border, which I ultimately scrapped
because this detail-rich image is a bit overwhelmed by the further
organic detail of such a border.

I couldn't really choose between white or black plain border, and I
suspect nor could you, in trying grey
in the end! The greatly enhanced acutance and local contrast in your
final version is very well-done, but
does look a bit "over-cooked" for what I wanted to achieve with this
image, but thanks for posting it
in anyway, bit it detracts a bit from the faded, sub-baked look I
wanted to achieve with the shells.

In many ways, I wanted this image to be the very opposite of a similar
image I made years ago
(admittedly, before I knew as much as I do now) which is very vibrant,
colourful, jewel-like.

So, in summary, I thank you for the alternative versions (they are
always interesting to see), I went
through a very similar process and decided on a white border in the
end, and one which is rather
under-sharpened. I am going to play around with this image a bit more.

keep well,
Dawid