Re: [OM] ( DZ OM ) Value for money?

Subject: Re: [OM] ( DZ OM ) Value for money?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:47:49 -0400
Not so long ago Olympus was talking about a planned 12 MP maximum for
the 4/3 sensor.  If you read the test of the DZ 50/2 you can see exactly
where the 12 MP maximum comes from.  At f/4.5 the lens is resolving 1500
line pairs vertically toward the outside and about 1600 dead center.
Come off f/4.5 though and resolution starts to drop.  A 4/3 sensor that
can resolve 1500 line pairs vertically has pixel dimensions of 3000 x
4000 or... 12 MP.

Since the DZ 50/2 must be one of the better lenses, if it can't go
beyond 12 MP it doesn't make much sense to go to even smaller pixels.
The same is true in the Canyon camp.  I suspect that there are precious
few lenses that can resolve the 15 MP of the 50D sensor and the same
holds for the 21 MP sensor of the 5D Mk II (although the 50/1.4 can do
it across the full sensor at f/5.6-f/8 but not above or below that).

So, the sensors are now outresolving the lenses and even the best
lenses.  I guess we don't need any more pixels... but that won't prevent
the manufacturers from giving us more.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt