Re: [OM] Acadia NP and other stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] Acadia NP and other stuff
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 22:00:48 -0700
Willie Wonka wrote:

> My liquor store let me down when it comes to aquiring the “Ten Penny” beer in
> time to bring to Bob( I should reconsider my allegiance), whom I managed to
> visit on my way back.  He actually isnt the mean grumpy dude everyone thinks
> he is, but I know I kent change your mind and will leave you at that.

Do people think Bob is a grump? But then, I 've also spent a pleasant
time with him and some beer, probably in the same restaurant. A gentleman.

> I had a hard time locating him at first.  There was this humongous camera I
> think it was called a D3, occupying the entire waiting area at the restaurant
> and he was hiding behind it...  later found out that it belonged to him.
>
> We had a great time.  In the hour or so we spent together, I learned a lot
> more than for all this years on this list.  We didnt talk Olympus as much as
> photography in general and what we do in real life away from cyberspace.
> Overall, I think that Bob definately deserves that six pack of good
> beer...Ill get it to him next time I am on my way to Acadia.
>
> Speeking of beer, we recently determined that the US beer industry is heading
> in a right direction, but whats up with the wine industry?  12 years ago I
> “experimented” and tried to find a bottle Californian wine that I like within
> the $25 range.  It was mostly based on recommendations from the store owners
> and was unable to find any, mostly because they were too thick and flavored,
> meaning that you taste anything but the grape, and with higher alcohol
> content.  These days, the norm seems to be a fruity thick syrup with
> significant alcohol percentage.  It is not only California, Spain and Chile
> are also competing for the title of the “worst offender”.  14.5% and above of
> alcohol seems to be the norm, this days sorry, but this is not wine.  Not to
> mention that there isnt any grape taste, just artificial flavors.  Spread it
> on a toast, baby...Where is this world heading and is this the end for the el
> cheapo vino drinker?

Sounds like a personal problem. We seldom pay more than $10 for a bottle
of wine. I mostly like light, crisp wines. We have favorites from
California, Italy, France and Australia all in that price range. All too
many Calif. chardonnays are indeed thick rich, deep, buttery and make me
feel like I'm being strangled, but there are many exceptions. We
particularly like an inexpensive, unoaked one from France.Not all reds
have to be heavy, serious and expensive, either.

> To recap:
>
> 1.  your vacation plans and get to Acadia NP as soon as you can

Looks like leaf peeping season this year.

> 2.  Bob is a really nice guy

Yup!

> 3.  Switch from wine to beer, unless you are filthy rich of course

Not a problem for this household.

Moose