Re: [OM] Hats off - Zuiko 300mm f/4, 5 <--> 85~250mm f/5 shootout, by Ch

Subject: Re: [OM] Hats off - Zuiko 300mm f/4, 5 <--> 85~250mm f/5 shootout, by Chuck.
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:10:50 -0300
mmmmmmmmmmmm - and you were kind enough not to include the shadow on the
Castrol bottle in the crop, but the border of the green leave and the
shadow of the knob over that green whatever-it-is-called is enough proof.

OTOH, the 300 @ ƒ/4,5 shows blue or neutral instead of purple, and where
purple is very strong at ~250 @ƒ/5 there is still a little purple (I'm
optimistically estimating 1/5th) in the 300 @ ƒ/4,5. Over all glimpse at
the 300mm shots shows it more neutral and maybe yellow perhaps, while
the zoom is warmer. I thought this to be due to changing lighting
conditions (the zoom test was done after the prime, warmer sunlight),
but now I've seen another reason.

Mr. Ling, <g> are we not pixel peeping a 15-11 old zoom, second
generation after the 75~150? I remember that when it was first
introduced, MPhotography found it soft at its long end, and complained
on this (tested together with the 35~70 ƒ/3,6 - found outstanding). I
wonder how the contemporary one touch 80~200/4 Nikkor everyone was using
at that time, would stand up in this very test - and the two touch
80~200/4 Canon FD I happened to use once, on a A1.

Wow, I feel my new purchase much better justified now - nonetheless, if
I were to walk along the same Paris / Rome streets I did during 1991 I
would carry the 85~250 instead of the 200/4 or the 300/4,5. And would
have used KM instead of Ektachrome 100 (I was advised against using KM
in Paris, because Kodak should send them to London for processing -- and
I obeyed !!. I was young then ... )

;-)

Fernando.