Re: [OM] Opinions and images wanted: OM Zuiko 35mm f/2.0

Subject: Re: [OM] Opinions and images wanted: OM Zuiko 35mm f/2.0
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 11:00:12 -0500
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Dawid Loubser<dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have heard so many varied opinions on this, but have yet seen very
> few images (preferably fairly high res)
> to show the character and performance of the OM Zuiko 35mm f/2.0. I
> know many (Ag Schnozz...) prefer the f/2.8
> version, but my style of shooting is largely centered on shallow depth
> of field, yet I like the 35mm focal length.
>
> Could you guys perhaps reply with some opinions and images taken with
> the 35mm f/2.0, preferably wide open? How would
> you rate the performance compared to later 50/1.8 lenses?

I dropped Giles Stewart's name in my response to you about the 80/4,
and another recollection of Giles comes to mind in this context.  He
got a 35-80/2.8 shortly before I did (while I was still making up my
mind about it).  We traded some off-list mail about it and his comment
was that with the 35-80 you can give your "primes a well-earned rest."
 Shortly after he sold his 35/2 as I recall.

Do you need f2?  That would be my consideration.  However, everyone is
different and when I tend to gravitate to a moderate wide, I seem most
often to skip over 35 and go to 28, so take it with a grain of salt.
I suspect you "need" one.  To make a rational decision, of course. ;^)

Joel W.