Re: [OM] Real world [was More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)]

Subject: Re: [OM] Real world [was More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 17:01:01 -0700
C.H.Ling wrote:
> For me, I prefer to shoot at larger aperture most of the time, I like the
> feel more than everything in focus.

It is, of course, purely a matter of personal taste.

> Some shots from two days ago with 80/4, all life size F4.
> http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/OMC/80F4/80F4.html

5223 - I know there are people who like this kind of effect, but I don't.

5226 - Fuzzy tips in the wrong places for me.

5231 - I like this one a lot. Proper, to my taste, use of shallow DOF to
create a strong image, almost more in a graphic than a photo sense. What
could be annoying bokeh in another context is an asset in its graphic
impact, creating an abstract quality I like.

5245 - Nope. The foreground softness doesn't bother me at all, but the
fuzzy tip does. I think this is partially because of the composition.
The tip is at the 'magic 2/3' location, where the primary subject is
often placed as a matter of composition - and cant' stand up to that
position. Nice background bokeh.

5264 - I really dislike this one. Not sure I could even say exactly why.

5273 - Nope. Trim off the front floret and get just a small extra DOF or
move focal plane slightly to get the left front one all in focus, and
I'd like it a lot. Simply lots of DOF to get the front one in focus
would also work for me.

5279 - Not much really wrong, but doesn't do much for me. Oddly, I think
it would be better without the open blossom, with the big, purple bud as
the focal point of a semi-abstract composition.

5284 - Wonderful composition! Shallow DOF works fine, although I don't
think a bit more, to catch the back of the 'scoop' on the lower left and
the front edge of the lower right part would hurt, either. Great
background bokeh. I would probably get rid of the OOF effect of a
brightening edge on the top right of the inner 'ear' of the blossom.

5288 - Not much really wrong, but doesn't do much for me.

5295 - Nice subject, colors, composition and bokeh. I don't get the
point of the shallow DOF on this one. The location of the plane of focus
seems arbitrary. I would like it much better with the whole subject in
focus.

5303 - Even more than 5245, the whole composition and color flow point
directly at a culmination at the 2/3 point, but the subject there is
fuzzy, while the parts pointing to it are very sharp. This might work
well with the focal plane slightly deeper, so the purple tip is in focus.

5324 - Super! Exactly what shallow DOF is good for. I love the color and
subtle tonal graduation. A tiny nit - I would try slightly blurring out
the lines between the string of bright edged OOF highlight circles along
the edge of the rear petal.

A. Picky Moose