Re: [OM] Real world [was More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)]

Subject: Re: [OM] Real world [was More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)]
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 22:33:56 +1000 (EST)
Hi Moose,

<snip>

> On my last little trip, I spent much of the time and many photos
> shooting at f16. Sure, I know, that's seriously diffraction limited
> according to some formula. Maybe AG's right, and weird DOF things that
> don't follow the simple lens calculations happen in zooms full of
> aspheric and special glass elements. Whatever, I'd been disappointed in
> the DOF I had been getting in some recent work, partly, perhaps
> semi-consciously, from leaning apertures toward open from the threads
> here about diffraction limits. So I spent a few days and a few hundred
> shots leaning the other way, toward f16.

The flash just went off above my head.

A lot of my best early shots, back in my mining and mining exploration/
bush days were shot with high F stops, as I tended to adjust the
aperture for a shutter speed of 1/250 to 1/500 depending on the lens
used.

This was in Kalgoorlie Western Australia, and as high up as Telfa
Mine site, including Meekatharra, Wiluna, and further inland, so
sunshine was no problem.

I think you may have just shown me why I dont like a lot of the
photos I take outdoors here in Victoria Australia :o)

Give me sunlight !

Here in Victoria I've just realised I do a lot of my outdoor shots
with a very low aperture to compensate for the lack of light, that
way I am automatically heading for a shutter speed of 1/250 to
1/500.

I think I should start putting the tripod in the car now.

Cheers
Ian Manners
Wowsers Inspector Gadget!!