Re: [OM] More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)

Subject: Re: [OM] More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:50:21 -0400
OK, I've now re-read this a bit more closely and I still don't
understand what you're on about.  It seems like you're intent on
disproving something he didn't claim.

The article starts with these words: "I don't know why this myth about
the depth of field being utterly independent of focal length (for
constant magnification) keeps on going...".  Here he is literally
defining "independent of focal length" as "constant magnification".  One
cannot maintain constant magnification with different focal lengths
without moving the camera.  So what's the problem with moving the
camera?  That's part of the discussion.  It's perfectly clear to me that
magnifying the image after it's captured is not the same as changing the
position of the camera to maintain the same magnification.  But that's
not his point.  That's your point.

And I accept his first point implicitly.  Focal length is clearly a part
of the formulas for depth of field both front and rear and it can't be
substituted out with magnification... because that is also dependent on
focal length and distance.  You're just recasting the problem to get rid
of the camera and lens.  The two of you are talking apples and oranges.

The DoF calculator I use is from Jonathan Sachs of Digital Light and
Color.  The equations he uses are from Merklinger.  If I feed the
calculater data for a 25mm lens at 1/2 the distance of a 50mm lens (to
maintain the same magnfication) the calculator says the 25mm lens has
greater total depth of field and that the distribution is
proportionately more behind the lens than in front with the shorter
focal length lens.  I think that's all that Ctein has said and my
calculator agrees.

Chuck Norcutt