Re: [OM] Voigtlander 40mmf1.4

Subject: Re: [OM] Voigtlander 40mmf1.4
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 12:36:27 +0200
Hi John and all,

From: john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I am seriously considering buying a Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 Nokton lens in >Leica
mount to fit my Leica M6.

Me too...  I'll be ordering one in a couple of days, as soon as I get the
extra pay of June!

>I have a range of Voigtlander
>lenses....15mm, 21mm, 25mm and 35mm

I have the Skopar 21/4, Ultron 28/1.9 and Heliar 75/2.5... plus several
Russian lenses in LTM!

>but I
>am looking for a "fast" slightly wide lens for low light work.

That's the best for indoor work.

>I am more than happy with the general standard of Voigtlander lenses.

Me too. Having seen the stunning contrast on the 28/1.9 (sample pics at <
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/3624566575/in/set-72157619518307323/>),
itself a _difficult_ lens, I now understand why
the Nokton 40/1.4 is (was) offered in both MC and an unusual SC version for
slightly "impaired" contrast... The newer 35/1.4 has the same option, but I
find it too close to the 40 (even in external size) to justify the price
difference.

>An added incentive is that US price for this lens from Camquest is $430.00
>including hood and postage to a US address whilst cheapest UK price is
>$656.00 Lens only! I despair of UK prices!

Cameraquest is, IMHO, the best way to get Voigtländer gear. Plus, so far I
haven't paid a single cent for customs...

>Has anyone used this lens, or an opinion on 40mm lenses in
>general...YES I know this is film based!!!  ;-0

Obviously, I
have no experience with this lens -- yet. But knowing the great
all-round quality of Voigtländer lenses, I don't think it would
deceive.

have, however, much experience with the Zuiko 40/2, and it's
definitely the right focal length for me!!! I think you'll enjoy the
Nokton (and me too ;-)

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)