Re: [OM] Best rechargeable batts for my Olympus FL-50R

Subject: Re: [OM] Best rechargeable batts for my Olympus FL-50R
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:32:32 -0500

> Thanks also for this info. Sanyo eneloop seems to be the best solution
> for my purpose as I am not a pro. I was only worried about the number of
> shots. I don´t think I will take more than 250 shots, so with four
> eneloop batts and another four AA alkaline non rechargable ones should
> be plenty enough.

Well, the pragmatist in me says you want two complete sets. This allows you
to do more bounce lighting or work with light modifiers.  If you are
one-flash, direct and keeping your shooting distance to a minimum, one set
would probably be fine.

However,

What most people fail to realize is that for our modern-day flashes, there
is a substantial microprocessor in them that needs constant feeding.  Even
if you do not take a single picture, the common flashes today will probably
drain a set of normal rechargeables in four or five hours. My 285HVs will
kill a set of well-used 2200mah batteries in two-three hours without a
single flash fired.

With two sets and a charger, you can take flash pictures indefinitely.

Besides, there are a myriad of things around the house you can stuff the
batteries into.

AG