Re: [OM] RANT: Sample images taken with EP-1

Subject: Re: [OM] RANT: Sample images taken with EP-1
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:38:06 +0200
<begin rant>
This sample image posted by DPReview (warning: huge file) is of the E-P1
with the new 17m lens at ISO 200 at f/6.3:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/olympusep1_preview2/originals/p6160172.jpg

It exhibits pathetic chromatic abberation, and this at f/6.3! I really
hope this is not representative of that 17mm lens, thus far I am greatly
unimpressed. I mean, come on, they should have AT LEAST made it an f/
2.0 lens
(since this is a camera with no built-in flash) and the lens
performance looks
absolutely crap. My 1976 OM-system 24mm f/2.0 with yellowed elements
is in a
complete other league to what I see here. The performance shown here
would have
been "OK" if this was a small and cheap f/1.4 lens, but a 35mm-equiv
non-retrofocus
f/2.8 lens is kinda hard to mess up, don't you think? For example,
take the
(much smaller and cheaper) Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 Skopar (for Leica M-
Mount)
pancake lens - it's faster, and renders a *much* better image, and
it's an ancient
design. In fact, I'd take the ISO 800 *film* image below (disclaimer:
not my images)
any day over the ISO 200 E-P1 image with the 17mm.

http://www.pbase.com/mbnm57/image/91849557/original
http://www.pbase.com/image/91851700

Also, the noise at ISO 200 is exceptionally poor, the image quality
looks at about the same level as a Canon G10 uber point-n-shoot
(especially if you down-size the G10's image to 12MP, remember it is
15MP
packaged into a much much smaller sensor).

I am, again, thoroughly unimpressed by Olympus' latest effort, nice as
the
camera looks. The produced image looks like complete rubbish compared to
what I am getting with my OM cameras on film, as well as absolutely
incomparable
in every respect to what I got with my 2004 Canon 1D MkII Digital SLR
of five years of sensor design earlier. Not to mention a Canon 16-35mm
f/2.8
zoom which, based on the sample I linked to at the top, is a much much
better lens than the Zuiko prime. Come on - I though Olympus still
knew how
to make innovative lenses?

No thanks (for now).

</end rant>