Re: [OM] People do the craziest things & also some pretty wonderfulones

Subject: Re: [OM] People do the craziest things & also some pretty wonderfulones . . .
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:04:53 -0700
> From: John Hermanson <bzgrpu1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> She saw no problem just carrying the camera around in her hand, "I
> don't
> need a strap".

On the other hand, I've twice seen straps damage a camera.

The scenario: person places camera on table or counter, with strap
dangling down. Someone brushes the side of the table or counter, strap
catches, pulls camera onto floor.

John replaced my wife's viewfinder in her OM-4t after such a scenario.
And she was not the first time I had seen that, and I had warned her
about dangling the strap! I would have just written it off as her
expensive lesson, except I was paying the bills at the time...

Personally, I put web or thick nylon cord loops through the eyelets or
slots provided for the strap. I make them just big enough to get my
first two fingers through, snugly. I can then "drop" the camera, have
it hanging by my fingers, and raise it up and instantly grab the body
again.

On the rare occasions I do want a strap, it attaches to the nylon
loops, keeping the camera body out of the way of scratches from the
strap buckle.

> Knowing how a young person might handle the camera...

Yea, young people are another matter entirely. I hope you told her not
to dangle the strap off the edge of the table!

:::: Jesus Saves!...     Passes to Gretsky; Gretsky SCORES! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::