Re: [OM] Image Storage on the Road

Subject: Re: [OM] Image Storage on the Road
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:57:08 -0700
Mike Lazzari wrote:
>> ....  Then do a format in camera to restore the camera's file structures.
>>

> Does it matter whether you use FAT16 or FAT32? Don't the larger capacity
> cards require the use of FAT32?

If you do as he says, and format it in the camera, you won't have a
choice, so no, it doesn't matter. If you format in the computer, it can
make a difference.

Many older cameras won't recognize and/or work with the full capacity of
a FAT32 card. Those that do work with FAT32 also work with FAT16.

It may be possible to trick a camera by formatting a 4GB card with FAT16
and a non-standard cluster size. All depends on whether the firmware
specifically limits card capacity.

My A650 works with FAT32 and large cards, but the CHDK firmware add-on
doesn't auto load form FAT32, so I have my 4GB SDHC cards formatted with
FAT16. Obviously, I have to do that on the computer. Works great. If I
ever get larger cards, a tiny FAT16 partition and the rest a FAT32
partition is supposed to work.

Moose