[OM] Wow... (Pan F plus at ISO 32)

Subject: [OM] Wow... (Pan F plus at ISO 32)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:55:15 +0200
Hi Guys,

I mentioned a month or so ago that I would be visiting the
coast, with nothing but PAN F in my OM-1n, and using mostly
the 90/2.0 Macro.

I finally developed the three rolls yesterday, and oh my word (this
is the first time I shoot Pan F rated at ISO 32) I have never seen
stunning image quality like this in 35mm film. Shooting at ISO 32 tames
the high contrast of this film nicely, much closer to (but admittedly
not
quite as good as) Ilford FP4. But the resolution - oh wow. I have shot
a number
of high-end digital SLRs before moving to the OM system, and anybody
that thinks
that the Bayer-pattern sensor in any currently available DSLR
approaches what is
possible with PAN F has clearly never tested this for themselves.

Of course, only the best lenses will do to make use of this
resolution, but
the late-model Zuiko 50/1.4 (which is already diffraction-limited by f/
5.6)
and the 90/2.0 Macro soundly exceed my expectations (and capability to
print this
amazing detail to any reasonable print size).

Anyway, just a shout out to you guys who have not tried this
combination yet -
it is mind-blowingly good, and I am *so* glad all over again that I
moved to the
OM system. This week-end will likely be spent in the darkroom making
larger
prints.

I can only imagine the joy a Leica M user will get from this combination
(Pan F plus at ISO 32) with the Summicron 90 f/2.0 lense. Excellent as
the OM
lens is, I am sure that the 'cron 90 is just that touch more special,
albeit
limited to 'normal' focusing distances. What I do enjoy, though, is
the precise
composition and focusing advantages an OM-1 brings over, say, an M6
with the 90/2.0.

p.s. For those darkroom junkies, I developed the film (which was
exposed at ISO 32)
in undiluted D76 developer at 20º C for 5min 15s. I've played around
with a couple
of options before, but this works really good - shadow details, plus
absolutely
no blown highlights.

happy shooting y'all,
Dawid