Re: [OM] Tamron vs Zuikos - was Missed a nice lens :-((

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron vs Zuikos - was Missed a nice lens :-((
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 11:24:29 +0800
Recently I have acquired three Tamron SPs which are from the 79'-84', named
24-48 F3.5-3.8, 35-80 F2.8-3.8 and 70-210 F3.5-4. They are mainly for my
curious on the famous third party performance.

I compared the 35-80 to the Zuiko 35-70/3.6, at F5.6 and 35/50mm the Tamron
performed slightly better than the Zuiko, at 70mm both were very close.
Generally the Tamron has more even performance from edge to edge. Purple
fringe of the Tamron is sligthly stronger, one stop down at the wide end and
1.5 stops at the long end vitually solve the problem.

A major issue on the Tarmon is flare, it is much poorer than the Zuikos I
have tested at the same time (28-48, 35-70/3.5-4.5, 50/3.5). On the field I
didn't see the problem yet, it could be ok for most application. Here are
two flare test results (at 50mm):

www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_4082_T3580s.jpg

www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_4083_2848s.jpg

The Tamron 24-48 was better than 35-80 in flare department but the above
Zuikos were even better. For resolution the Zuiko 28-48 was better in all
comparable focal lengths from edge to edge. At 28mm the edge of Zuiko was
slight soft but resolution was still good. Again, the Tamron had more even
edge to edge performance.

BTW, the Tamrons are compact, solid but not too heavy, they also look very
smart. I like them much more than their new AF lenses.

C.H.Ling