Re: [OM] Totally off topic, Worldwide Pinhole Photograpgy Day image

Subject: Re: [OM] Totally off topic, Worldwide Pinhole Photograpgy Day image
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:05:47 -0700
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> The Zero Image pinhole cameras give really sharp images.

Without taking a position on whether sharp is good or not in a pinhole
image, I'm curious. You are both more experienced and better read than I
am on pinhole technology. Do you have an idea why they may be sharper
than other pinholes?

Assuming a modestly competent method of holding the film, it seems to me
that the only variables are pinhole to film distance, pinhole diameter
and pinhole configuration.

A laser punched hole will look sorta like this ] [ , while one created
by abrasion will look sorta like this > <. The two types will obviously
have different diffraction characteristics and the thickness of the
medium in the first will affect interaction of the refractions at the
two edges as well as reflections in the "tube".

Any ideas or resources to point me to?

Moose