Re: [OM] (OT) Web Page Design (was: High Noon)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Web Page Design (was: High Noon)
From: "CyberSimian" <OlySimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 12:42:24 -0000
Chris Barker wrote:
> I should guess at IE being at fault, even if you are using v7.

Opinions will no doubt vary, but in my view the problem is due to the
designer of the web page making poor design decisions.  (As you may be
starting to realise, this is a pet peeve of mine.)  However, you are not
alone -- this is what the DP Review home page looks like on my WinXP/IE7
system:

http://www.xenscape.com/imaging/anon/dpreview.jpg

These references may give you some insight as to the cause:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/fontsize.html
http://www.html-faq.com/csspresentation/?fixedfontsizeisevil
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20020819.html

I don't know whether IE6 can reproduce this, but with IE7 on WinXP do the
following:

(1) Right click the desktop.
(2) Left click:
        Properties
        Settings
        DPI setting
        Large size (120dpi)
(3) Start Internet Explorer and left click:
        Tools
        Internet Options
        Accessibility
        Ignore font sizes specified on web pages.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK