Re: [OM] Manual Focus vs AF

Subject: Re: [OM] Manual Focus vs AF
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 14:17:01 +1000 (EST)
Hi Jim,

> In looking back at the snake photo that I posted yesterday, and
> examining the image while recalling the difficulty in getting the ZD
> 14-54, at 54mm, to grab a focus point, I am convinced that the
> manual focus 55mm gives me a better chance of getting the proper
> focus point.  In this busy image, I think that the AF would never have
> found the snake's eye as the focus point.
> Anyone have experience in this area?

I gave up on AF, a lot easier and quicker to set the E510 for manual
focus, and I've been using the OM glass a lot more. I have always
used a split focus screen in the E510 though, after I bought one for
the E500 when I decided the Oly screen was useless.

Though in saying that the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 I ordered finally
showed up last week, and my limited usage so far tells me that having
a much larger light gathering capacity makes a big difference to AF.
So much faster than the Oly kit lens as well. I still prefer manual focus
but the Oly digital lense's (and others I've seen) all have wimpy
manual focus rings with no feed back. The Oly manual focus would
have to be the worst I've seen so far, needs to be made a lot more
positive as even that takes to long to focus. The Sigma's manual
focus though still wimpy is a lot quicker in that you go through the
entire focus range in about 1/3 a turn of the focus ring.

For shots like yours though I would go straight to manual, as only you
the photographer knows were you want the focus to be. Unless you
want to spend the time moving the focus control from the shutter button
to the AEL/AFL button on the back of the 510, I though of doing that
but never got that far. Maybe I'm getting to old, I dont know but I simply
prefer the control from using things such as this in manual or semi
auto modes which still give me a fair bit of control.

The number of friends I see with DSLR's and slightly out of focus shots
is certainly on the increase, they dont seem to notice it themselves..

> Here is the photo once more:
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Green+Snake+23a.tif.html

Love the green, certainly make the snake stand out.

Also bought myself a FP-1 flash grip for the FL-50, got tired of the
batteries in the FL-50 going flat so quickly, even with the batt compartment
open so the batt's are not connected. Certainly makes a big difference !

Might start using the FL-50 more now instead of the T45 or the T32 and T20
combo I've been using (T20 straight ahead on the hot show, the T32 with
Grip2 for bounce/shadow control).

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/

hen choosing between two evils, pick the one you haven't tried before