[OM] (OM) Web-page sizes and download times

Subject: [OM] (OM) Web-page sizes and download times
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 22:59:51 +1200
Out of curiosity, I checked the file sizes of a few notable and one less
notable web-site(s).  Mine being the latter.

Facebook took 512,882 bytes to get to the point of presenting the full login
screen.  But it took at least 2 minutes to get there; probably more.  I think
the time was due to the complexity of the browser having to de-code very
involved javascript.

>From login to the complete loading of my 'Home' page, the total was
1,019,371 bytes. Lots more javascript resulted in about another 2+ minutes.

Ken's Zone 10 front page used up 828,008 bytes in its present form with 2
biggish images, and it took maybe less than 2 minutes.

My own pages, the front page plus the next step the gallery page, used the
surprising total of 425,698 bytes. I had no idea I had loaded that many to get
there.  And I have organised things so that wherever possible, images get
re-used out of cache rather than needing to be downloaded more than once.
These two pages were faster than any of the others by two orders of
magnitude, probably due to the code being very simple for the browser to
interpret.
Brian Swale.