Re: [OM] [OT] Advice re using non-Microsoft op sys.

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Advice re using non-Microsoft op sys.
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 21:11:48 +1000
2009/5/8 Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I just tried The Gimp again.
>
> Problems; I could not get it to select the font I want. No problem with PS.
>
> 2) I simply refused to place the text on the image I wanted to write on. A
> similar problem with PS, but not nearly as bad. I can live with the PS error.
> See the placement of the txt in the Autumn button on this page - I could not
> get PS to lower it a bit.
> http://www.brianswale.com/galleries/central-otago/index.htm
> With The Gimp I couldn't even get the txt ON the background - it was all
> away off in never never land.

If I select the Text tool, I then draw a box on the graphic where I am
wanting the text. It doesn't matter if it's bigger than the intended
text, and it's actually preferable if it is. At the same time, the
small window comes up into which I input my text. To change the font,
its size, it's colour, and its placement within the box
(justification), I make the necessary selections at the bottom of the
Toolbox window (beneath all the icons). As with Photoshop (well,
Elements and 7 as far as I know), this actually becomes another layer,
and I can also then still move it around to place it where I want it
on the background with the Move tool (the icon in the Toolbox that
looks like a cross with "arrows" on each end). I can also still edit
the text further.

Does this match what you see in The Gimp?

(If you wish, and if you're not experiencing it as above and are too
frustrated with positioning it so, I would be happy to create button
for you to your requirements. That is, if you don't mind waiting - my
midweeks are less busy than my weekends)

Cheers,
Marc