Re: [OM] That's Not a Bokeh, This is a Bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] That's Not a Bokeh, This is a Bokeh
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 09:00:18 -0500

> Excellent shots Ken.

Thank you!

> I don't know how accurate the colour is but it really looks impressive
> here.

I'm not sure how to answer this question. (but I'll try).  On my monitor,
it's accurate to how I remember the scene. Fresh tulips are almost always
"out of gamut" saturated when backlit by the sun. During the scanning
process, I yanked the controls around a little bit, but mostly to remove the
cast scanned Kodak print films have.

Saturation is tweaked maybe only 10% more than normal, but this is because
most films tend to compress and desaturate when out-of-gamut is being
reached. As a result, you'll lose some of the "glow" in the flowers if you
don't correct that during the scan process. (and scan correction is
perfectly legitimate as this is, in essence, applying a profile to the film
which the auto-sense functionality of the scanner software is not able to
determine).

The greens are absolutely as close to accurate as they come. In comparison,
a digital shot will not have the same type of greens as they will darken or
pick up a blue cast. If you try correcting for the greens, the rest of the
image goes to pot.

The purples are a little supressed. To the human eye, they also had a
brilliant glow to them, (like the yellow and red flowers), but Kodak Gold
200 doesn't have the same extended UV/IR sensitivity as I'd like. Looking at
them here, I'd say that the brightness of the purple flowers is supressed by
at least 1/2 stop.  I'm going out on a limb here and blaming the UV/IR
response curves because under an overcast sky the purple tulips will almost
turn blue to the human eye.  (as I don't use UV filters, I can't say if they
supress values or not).  However, that said, Gold 200 held in there
remarkably well and produced a nicely balanced image that needed no warming,
curves or saturation  adjustment in post.

AG