Re: [OM] New version of Picture Window Pro released

Subject: Re: [OM] New version of Picture Window Pro released
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:45:28 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:

> 2. Improved workflow and Raw Conversion. Version 4's RAW converter was based
> on DCRAW (which this one probably still is in some sort of way), but it is
> now improved and pretty much has corrected the maize artifacts in Olympus RAW
> files.

As I understand it, dcraw has three main parts.

1. Decoding all those RAW formats into a standardized data form.
2. Demosaicing the RAW sensor data into RGB color image data.
3. Converting that data into an image with black and white points and gamma.

Actually, for 16 bit images, it doesn't even do the gamma.

The various folks who develop GUI apps based on dcraw may use all or
part of those functions. The most sophisticated, like Raw Therapee, only
rely on dcraw derived code to decode the various RAW formats for them.
They do their own work from demosaicing on.

I assume that's what PWP is doing as well. Makes perfect sense to use
the universal Rosetta Stone of RAW file "languages"

Moose