Re: [OM] New version of Picture Window Pro released

Subject: Re: [OM] New version of Picture Window Pro released
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:31:32 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:
>> Jonathan is Jonathan Sachs of Lotus 1-2-3 fame.  One of the original PC DOS
>> and Winders programmers.  A Mac version of PWP would be pretty surprising.
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Sachs>
>
> I met Mr. Sachs years ago at a conference in Chicago. His ability to create
> capabilities where none exist is mindboggling. A programming genius.

If I ever meet him, my question will be what Lotus was doing in the time
between selecting Print and something coming out of the printer.

Lotus was a really useful program, and quite responsive while developing
and working with spreadsheets. Move around, enter formulas, change a
value that cascaded through the sheets, read data in, and so on, and it
did the job quickly, or at least you could see that it was working. Tell
it to print and there was this loooooong pause while nothing noticeable
happened at all. No disk activity, no printer activity, nothing. I guess
even if it had a window lying about print preparation process progress
it would have been better.

At this time in my life, I would just sit quietly, like a
mini-meditation. Back then, it drove me crazy, especially when up
against the inevitable, usually artificial, deadlines.

I switched to Quattro when it came out. I thought it was better overall
than Lotus - and - it started printing promptly. Eventually had to go
with Excel to get along with accounting. Some of their planning
spreadsheets were like vast newly discovered, unexplored continents.
There was a danger of getting lost in them and never coming out alive.

Moose